Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Eat Dessert First?

I will never forget what a co-worker's daughter said to her when she moved out on her own, "Mama, being an adult is great.  I get to pick my own bedtime and eat my ice cream first."  As funny as that is, it got me to think. Why is it that the majority of the world's population really would choose pie over pasta?  Or a milk shake over a glass of milk?  Why do kids want to skip the green beans and potatoes and dive into the chocolate cake? 
We love to eat the sweet stuff... the sugary, rich and creamy, delicious stuff.  Forget about the dietary fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Let's indulge ourselves with fats and starches and the sweet sugary goodness.
That's just the way we roll.  As much as we use the cliche, "Save the best for last," 95% of us really don't want to.
Okay, as you have probably already figured out, I'm leaving the "food talk" behind.  Now, I'm discussing bigger and better things-  our life  -and the things we must do to make it count.
If you noticed in my last entry, "Why Just Now," I used a Bible verse in Psalms.  (A verse I often quote and cling to.)  What stood out to me here recently is that this verse is in proper order.  The best IS saved for last. Or, if you will, the "dessert" is served after the "meal."
We would love to always skip to the end and get the desires of our hearts handed out first.  Wouldn't that be nice?  But, just like the "real world," you have to work for your reward.  However, when you're following the Lord, you KNOW without any doubts, His promises are guaranteed.  Your hearts dreams?  They will come true.
"How do I delight myself in the Lord?" -- There's really not a list I can give or an outline I could make up.  Not because the answer is too complicated, but just the opposite!  The solution is extremely simple... LOVE HIM MOST.  When you do, the delight... ...it just comes.  I love seeking His Word to find direction, rather than asking the advice of others.  I long to read His letter He's made available to me, rather than calling up a friend on the phone when I feel lonely.  I am thankful each moment of my life that He saved my soul... and He gives me peace and joy.  I am overwhelmed by the awesome fact that if I take one step, He'll take two!  He opens doors that I didn't even know were there.  Has it always gone the way I thought it should??  Honestly, more often than not, it's went the exact opposite of what I was thinking. But once everything was said and done... I looked back and breathed a sigh of MAJOR RELIEF that His ways are higher than mine.  There are so many things I asked for... and things I just "knew" I needed- that if they were to have happened... wow.  My life would be so different than it is today... and I DON'T mean for the better.  All I can say is, God is so good to me.
Since I'm going with this "menu" theme-  I'm going to bring up Olive Garden!!  The greatest restaurant EVER!!  When I go there, no matter what I order, I know it's going to be deeeelish!!  If I'm in the mood for salad, spaghetti, or their amazing chicken scampi... or if I decide to fill myself with their fantabulous breadsticks and just eat their dessert of the day-  I have no doubts whatsoever that I will savor, and thoroughly enjoy, every single bite. 
With that example of truth above, I will say this, with NO disprespect at all-  Jesus totally beats Olive Garden when it comes to what He has to offer.  Hands down.  I know that no matter I choose, whatever it is He brings to my table, it's going to be amazing.  Even in the hard times we can experience hidden blessings. Everything in our life, when HE'S in control- is destined to be wonderful.  That's my point.  That's the bottome line.
Why do we want to always skip the filling stuff??  The stuff that makes us what we need to be?  Those things are what make the dessert so mouth-watering.  We're ready for it.  We've done our part.  Our plate is clean.  Now, there's only room for the sweet stuff. 
Don't keep waiting and solely focus on what He can serve you!  Instead, this time you do the "cooking" and offer Him something that will fill your soul and satisfy your heart and life.  That's what it's going to take.  Don't try to please all your peers.  Don't even think you're going to make EVERYONE proud.  Don't strive for silly little things that seem big in the eyes of "some" that really don't matter at all.  If you want the happiness, joy, zeal, drive, confidence, freedom, and relief that I've just experienced in such a wonderful way-  give your life wholly to Jesus.  100%.  Surrender it all.  From here on out-  worry about pleasing Him, no one else.  Do what He says do.  Do what makes you and Him happy- and let no one - EVER - take that from you.  That is a blessing He wants for His children.  A gift He wants to give you. 
This is a treat so good- that instead of keeping it all to myself, (like I would a box of oreos), I want to share it with everyone that will take it. 
This feeling I have in my heart-  it's the choice of the day.  Every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment