Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sample Sample

Surely every single one of us, at some point in our lives, have walked through the busseling food court of a busy mall, and heard that distant Chinese voice...  "Sample. Sample.  Sample! Sample!"     Of course, we musn't forget that crazy guy that runs around donning different hats, sunglasses, and scarves conning the Chinese out of chicken.   As humorous as it is... those samples really can get ya hooked.

I can think of countless times I had every intention of choosing a certain vendor or restaurant, but got cornered into trying a piece of peking chicken.  After tasting that one little sample, it made me realize how great the actual meal would be.  I'm pretty positive that at least 98% of the time, I was persuaded to choose the restaurant from which the sample was taken.  That annoying little word spoken in that funny little voice, got my business!! That little preview workedServing as a wonderful tool in the food industry, samples can also be given to preview things in other areas of our lives. 

I was just sitting here thinking of how there's SO STINKIN' MUCH I want to do with my life, and SO LITTLE TIME I have to do it...  and I don't want to waste a second!  Aaron and I both have such a zeal and desire to do something for the Lord- and we definitely feel Him leading in a certain direction- but it's taking some time to get the "meal prepared." On occasion, I get so weary waiting.  I literally cry out, "God, I'm here!  I'm so willing! I'm trying to be who You want me to be!  Why is it taking so long?  Don't You want willing vessels? Here am I; send me!" I hear Him speak, I feel Him lead, and I see His hand moving, yet the time is just not yet. This gets so unbearably hard at times.  In our little finite minds, it makes no sense whatsoever why God wouldn't open this thing that He's placed in our hearts right at the first moment we say, "Yes, Lord."  I mean, He called us.  We both felt it.  We both KNOW it.  We both want it. Why, if it's not time, right now? 

Because, they're samples. 

Only He sees the big picture, the next chapter, the main entree.  But, in order to keep us hungering, and to keep us wanting His divine plan with every piece of our hearts, He gives samples along the way to "hold us over".  That confirmation from a sermon.  That Scripture we read this morning that seemed to fly off the page.  That word someone felt like sharing.  That Spirit we felt in that service.  They're all samples.  They prove that the "meal" is there, if we choose it... and we'll get it as soon as it's ready to be served.

I sometimes have little pity parties (shame on me, I know)... and think my life has been full of "just samples."  There is some truth in that, because God doesn't ever plan on leaving you in the same place for too long! Just like anything that just sits in the same place for too long; you get dusty, or stale.  And frankly, I don't want those words describing me.  Sure, you may hold a certain position for a while, and that's great!... but God will soon start dealing with you about something else... even if it takes a little time for it to all be ready.  Sometimes you move on quickly.  God's first direction was just a door to lead you somewhere else.  I've seen it happen to others.  I've watched it happen to me.

Sometimes I let that thought rob me of victory.  I get so focused on the "meals" I haven't partaken of yet, that I forget about the little blessings God's providing.  Those many smaller opportunities He gave me to bless someone, they're just tossed right out the door.  No, we may not be doing what our hearts are so desperately set on full time yet.  Our everyday routine may not be filled with outreach and ministry like we so yearn, right at this moment. But I must realize those things I do faithfully, the Christian attitude I try so very hard to always have, the nice things I say to someone to try and encourage them a little bit longer, those dishes I wash, that shirt I iron, that phone call I make, that song I sing, testimony I give, prayer I pray... those little things I try to do for God that seem to not matter at all... they are little samples He gives me to show me what He's got to offer.  So, yes, my life has been filled with samples.  But I've had my share of meals, too.  God's done wonderful things in our life.  He's moved us around the country a few times.  He's led us to people who have been absolutely amazing influences or pillars in our lives.  He's called us to places to learn things we needed to learn.  We've dealt with things to cause us to see what we did or didn't need to do.  Hurts caused us to lean solely on Him, disappointments led us to trust Him... even mistakes caused us to remember that we must always look to Him. Everything is just a part of His plan.  Looking back, I can see the bigger pictures that before I couldn't see.  And because of that, I know that there's another one just around the bend. 

I'm glad God doesn't just throw us into something blindly.  He doesn't just push us through doors, or set full plates of some entirely new taste right in front of us.  He first gently whispers.  He, then, continues to lay things on our hearts.  He sends bits of peace and confirmation.  He gives that strong burden.  He gives us samples... just so we can have a small taste of the greatness He's about to set before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment