Friday, January 13, 2012

Check, Please

Sunday afternoon naps are my favorite! They seem to provide the best rest EVER. And what makes them even better- is laying down STUFFED with amazing food. Oh the joys of life!
This past Sunday- I didn't get my nap. BUT, I did get stuffed with amazing food. Aaron and I, along with some great friends of ours, went to Lonestar Steakhouse for our Sunday dinner. Was it ever delicious! We had a great time talking, laughing, and, of course, eating, and just enjoying each other's fellowship. Our cheerful attitude must have been highly contagious, because our waitress caught on quickly. We were throwing jokes around left and right- dry sarcasm was coming from every direction. Good times. When it was almost time to go our waitress made the usual ending remark, "I'll be right back with your check." Still joking, my husband said, "Oh that's okay. We don't need one this time." Of course we all laughed, as did our waitress, but she quickly said, "Well, I'm sorry... you have to take it. Any time you partake in something this good, you just gotta pay!"
That phrase stuck with me. And I've been thinking about it today.
How am I repaying the people I love for things they've done for me? Do I let them know that I appreciate them enough? Do I put their needs above my own? Am I as encouraging to them as they've been to me?
But even more importantly, I ponder in my heart, what am I doing to "pay" the Lord?? I know we can't earn our way to heaven. It's only by His blood, and our turning from our sins that get us there. But that's salvation!- and that's a gift that came from Him- that He freely gave to me. Nonetheless, I love Him, and I want Him to know that I WANT to repay Him for "something this good." "His thoughts are ever toward me." "He ever liveth to make intercession for ME." That means something. A precious something. With this being said, if He dedicates all that time and 'energy' to me so willingly, shouldn't I dedicate my life to Him?
As hard and even unpleasant as it sometimes is, I have to ask the Lord for my "check, please." When I "pull out my tab" and see the protection He gave me and my family today, and the forgiveness He imparted when my attitude wasn't the greatest... When I see all the laughs He let me have, and how He sent that person at just the right time to say those uplifting words... When I look at it and notice how He kept me from sin another day, He kept me healthy, kept my husband from temptation... the list could go on forever... every day! ... and every day I look over my "check" it reminds me how much I truly do owe Him!! He deserves the best of everything I have to offer... because that's what He gave to me. He gave His life. I will give mine.
I recall the many years of youth camp, and the infamous "ATTITUDE CHECK" the camp dean would say at any given time- which would then be followed by a loud, "PRAISE THE LORD," from any camper close enough to hear. I still use that today. (I don't always holler that when it pops in my head... lol) But in my heart I'm screaming, Praise the Lord, Thank You, Jesus! Bless the Lord, oh my soul! That's where my thoughts should linger. That is how my attitude should stay.
God help me never forget the many undeserved blessings you've so graciously bestowed upon me. And Lord, help me daily check my heart. Help me always live for You. Avoiding all sin, and clinging to Your truth. Check me, please.
"Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I appreciate it very much! It really had me thinkin' that's for sure!! Love ya tons, btw!! =)

      Delete